Help us help children in flooded villages in Tamil Nadu
Maybe you’ve missed it in the news. The state of Tamil Nadu, where most of CAF’s projects run, has been hit by the heaviest rainfall in 100 years since mid-November. This is the worst catastrophy since the region was hit in 2004 by the tsunami. This “silent tsunami” has caused unprecedented floods which brought destruction and despair, and affected millions of people.
Our local partners, with whom we have cooperated for many years, decided to reach out to impoverished communities living in small villages which are very difficult to reach and which have remained far away from any media attention.
Nearly everything in the houses has been washed away: clothes, basic hygiene material, cooking utensils, sleeping mats, children’s school materials…. Most of the affected families have even lost their house as they are made out of mud. The drinking water is contaminated with flood and sewage water, in those villages where the flood water is still present, there is a high risk for disease outbreak.
We are calling on your generosity to alleviate the impact of this disaster on the children in these communities so that they can get their lives back to normality as soon as possible.
See how a small donation can make a big difference:
- 10€ covers a school uniform, a school bag, or a pair of shoes
- 30€ covers a hygiene and safety kit, including soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste, sanitary towels, first aid kit, medicine,…
- 55€ covers groceries for one family for one month, this includes rice, lentils, tea, sugar, nuts…
- 70€ covers a household kit, including pots and pans, cooking stove, brushes, buckets, mugs, plates, cups…
- 350€ will rebuild an entire house
Here’s how you can help:
- make a donation on our account (mention “floods” in the communication)
- organise a fundraising event in your company, school, sports club, youth organisation etc.
- forward this call for support to your family, schools, friends, acquaintances or other organisations who might be able to help out.
It will take many months before these people will be back on their feet, but there is hope: together with our partners and with your support we can and will make a difference, as our relief activities following the 2004 tsunami have shown.
We have up-to-date information on the needs and situation from our local partners in Tamil Nadu. Therefore we will be able to adapt this help to the evolving needs. CAF Members will visit the area as soon as March 2016 and verify that the help provided by you and other donors has reached those in need.
So, if you are in a position to help in any way, do not hesitate!
If you have any questions you can send them to us at email@example.com
Thank you for your generosity !